First off thank you for all of your prayers. Katherine had a successful surgery for port removal on Thursday morning. Everything went as smoothly as can be expected, I guess. I say that because we did hit some bumps along the way, but the actual surgery and recovery were without much incident. The surgery was scheduled at 8am, and she was to be at the hospital checked in by 6am that morning. So, daddy and Katherine were out the door by 5:55 to get there on time; which they did. The boys and I arrived promptly at 7:45am to see her off to surgery. Well, at 8:37am we were still sitting in the same little room; the boys getting ansy (mostly Oliver). I needed a little break and walked out to the nurses station to find out what the delay was. To make a long story short, I was told that Katherine was not actually on their schedule until 9am, and that due to a short case in front of her, it would probably be 9:30 before they'd take her back. So, plans changed and I took the boys to church for mornings for mom, came back and waited. I planned to see her off to surgery, go to my new OB appointment and be back in time for her to be coming out of anesthesia. Well, as they say NOTHING goes as planned. First we were delayed for the actual surgery, 2 hours and a half, and then I was stuck at the OB's waiting room for about an hour before I actually saw the doctor. Why didn't I reschedule you ask?? Well, it was a "new patient" appointment. I had already gone about 6 weeks since my last checkup and I was afraid that if I called to reschedule, not being an establish patient with the dr would push me out to mid may!! I should have known better. When I finally told the dr that I had a daughter in surgery at St. Francis he proceeded to attend to me more quickly. Nonetheless, I did NOT make it back in time to be there when Katherine woke up. It was 1pm, my appt was scheduled for 11:20 that morning!! So, I headed over to pick up the boys, and just met up with daddy and Katherine at home.
Katherine has done extremely well in her recovery. She has pain every once in a while, but a little tylenol usually keeps it under control. She went to school on Friday and was excited to take her port in a baggie for show and tell. I asked the teachers to call me if she complained of pain. I picked her up at 1:30 that afternoon, and found her in good spirits. I asked how her day had gone, and if she had shared with her friends about the port. She said "yes mommy, the boys all said 'holy cow', and the girls said 'wow!'"
Here are just a few pics of the morning prior to surgery....
Sorry for the delayed update, after surgery my body must have felt some relief and the freedom to come down with a major cold. I have been in bed feeling crummy since yesterday afternoon!!


1 comment:
God has a strange sense of humor, but He did as always come through with answered prayers in spite of delays.
So sorry about your cold-hope you liked the OB.
Post a Comment